If you’re following me, you’ll notice this month my goal is to take time for your mental health.
Last week I worked on my mental health by listening to a podcast everyday …. this week my goal is to read for 20 minutes a day. It’s amazing how reading does wonders for your mind and mental health. Reading is a great way to relax and get absorbed into a story.
I know it’s EASY to find reasons not to read a book. However, reading a book is so great for mental health in a variety of ways. Here is a list of ways to take time for reading without feeling guilty :
1. Read a book that helps you learn a new skill and feel accomplished after your finished reading. Even if the skill is a “self- help” or “how to better your life” type of book… read it.
2. Find a genre you know you love. When you’re easily sucked into a book there’s less of a reason to think about your long “to-do” list while reading.
3. Remind yourself that reading is taking time-out for yourself and it’s not selfish … reading is uplifting and can help you be more productive in the long run.
4. With the great weather starting to settle in… read a book outside to soak up some natural vitamin d as well.
5. Join a book club and read along with your group. Being able to socialize and discuss the book is not only fun, but great for your deep thinking skills!
So …..go find a book you think you’ll enjoy and start reading!
During this pandemic where the world has turned upside down a bit, take time to enjoy some fun reading and I think you will be surprised by the positive effect reading has on your mental health and stability.
Here is a list of resources to follow to find some great books!