I was in college from 2003-2008, then went back to grad school from 2009-2013.
I have zero regrets when it comes to going to college.
I feel like college taught me more than academics.
Here is a list of 5 Things I learned in college.
- I learned that I was smarter than I thought I was. I have always had to work hard in school, and labeled myself as “average.” However, college was a reminder that even if I wasn’t at the “top of the class,” I still had more intelligence than I gave myself credit for.
- Confidence- college gave me MUCH more confidence. Not just with academics but with public speaking, working with groups of people, technology…and the list goes on. If you want to build your confidence—go back to school!
- College taught me to work the HARDEST. I say “hardest” because working hard is not always enough…often times, you have to work the “hardest” you ever have. That means sacrificing social life, favorite tv shows, traveling, and more. Working “hardest” means studying through dinner sometimes, or waking up at the crack of dawn to study before other classes begin. It’s extremely hard work at times, but how rewarding it is to know you have worked your “hardest.”
- College taught me how to prioritize my life. When you have a full load of classes, it’s important to prioritize which class to study for first, what assignments to get done first, and so forth. Prioritizing is more than just organizing life, it’s making sure you put the most important things first.
- Balance-Along with prioritizing life, college taught me balance. Like that one semester I rarely socialized and I got straight A’s, but I realized my emotional well-being was struggling and I needed friends, so the next semester I didn’t get all “A’s” but I did have some fun memories with friends. Because part of college is creating fun memories with friends and roommates.
So if you ever ask me if you should go to college …I’d say “Yes,” …100% you should go to college.
The life lessons learned at college are incredibly life changing.
If you went to college ..what would you add to this list ??